Re: Incompatible change without warning

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without warning
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:40:01 -0400

Please put the definition of unfocus-frame  back in.
It should not be removed in this release.

    So yeah, probably there wasn't a
    byte-compiler warning on 21.1 saying `unfocus-frame' was obsolete; but
    the function *was* obsolete anyway and suitable replacements had been
    introduced (and, I  presume, documented).

You mustn't presume such a thing.

The fact is, this function had become a no-op.  There was no
"replacement".  But with nothing to call programmers' attention to the
unnecessary calls, they probably didn't remove them.  I am sure there
are many programs that still call this function.

In this release, it should only get a warning.  We can remove it in
23.1.