Re: vc-next-action not behaving

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: vc-next-action not behaving
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:38:13 +0200

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 08:28 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

> I'm on EST, which is GMT-05:00.  Even if one of these is supposed to
> be a GMT time it doesn't agree with either of the others.  I'm using
> CVS from Cygwin, which I have installed with its bin directories in my
> regular Windows PATH all the time.

Judging from your mail headers, you are currently at GMT-04:00 due to
daylight savings.  The time in CVS/Entries is supposed to be UTC (=GMT).
You should make sure that for a freshly checked out file, this is indeed
the case.  If it isn't, it's a setup problem with CVS and/or Cygwin or
Windows.

It doesn't really matter what time you get in a directory listing -- the
operating system is supposed to show you local time, but Emacs mtime (in
file-attributes) must, once again, be UTC.

I'm not familiar with NT at all, and I don't know how timezones are
managed on that operating system usually.  On Unix, the system clock
runs in UTC, which is converted to local time only upon display.  I
suspect that somewhere in there, you have a daylight savings
misconfiguration -- maybe some part of your system thinks it is running
under DST, and another doesn't.

Hope this helps.