Re: Needed for the release

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Needed for the release
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:34:37 +0200

> What I remember is that Red Hat enables a feature in Linux that (I
> believe) uses the address space differently.  unexelf.c doesn't handle
> it right.
>
> I don't remember the name of the feature, but I'm sure other people
> on this list remember the name.

exec_shield is one such feature, and newer kernels use something like,
uh, /proc/sys/vm/randomize_... (I don't remember the particular name
right now and don't have a Fedora active).  The latter loaded
executables' memory segments into randomized locations to make buffer
overflow attacks less predictable.

exec_shield could be gotten around with using
setarch i386 make
and configure does that already IIRC.  But the address space
randomization was prohibiting the dumping even with the setarch
command.