Re: Needed for the release

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Needed for the release
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:17:20 -0400

    exec_shield could be gotten around with using
    setarch i386 make
    and configure does that already IIRC.  But the address space
    randomization was prohibiting the dumping even with the setarch
    command.

It may be possible for unexec to get around that problem by writing a
suitable kind of file that won't allow the randomization.  It might
need to deal with the effects of randomization at the time temacs was
run, but this might not be impossible.  One would need to study the
details of the feature.

Masatake-san, would you like to study the details and see?

    They don't describe the new randomizing features though.

If we can't find any documentation of these features,
we can try asking people in Red Hat to describe them.
I have some contacts to ask.

Another idea is to arrange to use CANNOT_DUMP
on those systems.