Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:26:32 +0000 (UTC)

    In what way is it ok to highlight a piece of text as a familiar
    web browser link, and then _not_ bind the familiar mouse-1 to
    follow it?

To me mouse-2 is familiar for activating links, as in going from a
message summary buffer to reading an email message; mouse-1 is not.  I
use mouse-1 to set point and I use it frequently.  For example, just a
few moments ago, I used it to set point in message summary buffer.

When I have had to use other systems, mostly I have had to
`double-click mouse-1' to activate anything.  To me in a strange
system, `double-click mouse-1' is a sure activation command.

The question here for Emacs is threefold:

  * what is backwards compatible,
  * what is not too strange,     and
  * what can novices figure out without help from others?

For activating links, `double-click mouse-1' answers those questions.

`mouse-2' is easier but requires reading documentation (for another
program back in 1983 I remember learning that `middle is menu'; I had
to relearn that binding).

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8