Re: Underlining in compile.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Underlining in compile.el
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:37:56 -0400

    To me, it still seems like the entirely wrong approach to add new
    faces everywhere something may look like a link.

The idea that beginners will be less confused if links are underlined
seems inherently plausible.  As for adding new faces, that's the
implementation I saw how to write, but I agree it is ugly.  I'm
suggesting that someone else implement this feature without
defining any new faces, by changing the font-lock specs.

However, ISTR that this complaint was made when there were bugs
causing too much of the line to be highlighted.  If fixing those bugs
was enough to solve the problem, we don't need to do any more.  Would
those that found the situation confusing before please speak up now?