Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:39:54 -0400

>> Yet another variety would be to create a buffer which does have a
>> file, call it "Unnamed" or some such (i.e., in the default directory),
>> and if such a file already exists, modify it by attaching something
>> like a number.

> I think the default emacs behavior (if the buffer doesn't have a name,
> ask for one when saving) is far better.   You could create new
> _buffer_ names like "unnamed" or whatever, but actually setting the
> _file_ name to that seems harmful.

It all depends on whether other parts of the code would be adjusted or not.
The important issues about the behavior of "new files" (whose file name has
not yet been set):
- make sure C-x C-s prompts for a file name.
- make sure autosave works.
- make sure the auto-save-list includes the new files.
- there might be more.

Of course the other option of prompting for a file name before creating the
new buffer solves all the above problems (along with the others that have to
do with the choice of major mode, ...), which is why I'm in favor of that
one, even if it's a bit less CUA-ish.

        Stefan