Re: Sorting of directories in dired

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Sorting of directories in dired
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:44:02 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

??? What does the shell have to do with using `ls'?  You can invoke
`ls' from _any_ shell running on Windows, including from cmd.exe.
I never use ls outside some sh like shell.

I think you are misreading the principle of consistent cross-platform
behavior as ``resistance'' or ``a strategy not to help'' w32 users.
Yes, sometimes. On the other hand I think that the necessary integration with different platforms must not be hampered by the consistent cross-platform behaviour. I am much in favor of both these things.

Since Emacs started its route much have changed. The users on different platforms now tend to request that applications adhere to what they are used to. After that it is fine to add new features and behaviour. So integration and cross-platform behaviour need not collide, but integration must not be overseen.

On w32 users are used to that applications can be run out of the box and that they behave in a well known manner. That is one of the strengths of w32. It is both on surface level and on deeper levels.