Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:56:07 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> This is good, but
>
>     + These two functions are only meant for options defined in pre-loaded
>     + files, where some variables or functions used to compute the option's
>     + value may not yet be defined.  The option normally gets updated in
>     + @file{startup.el}, ignoring the previously computed value.  Because of
>     + this typical usage, the value which these two functions compute
>     + normally only matters when, after startup, one unsets the option's
>     + value and then reevaluates the defcustom.
>
> To make that really clear, I think you should add:
>
>   By that time, the necessary variables and functions will be defined,
>   so there will not be an error.

Stupid question: instead of having two initialization functions that
need to replace the normal initializers for preloaded stuff, wouldn't
it be easier to simply redefine the _standard_ initialization
functions in an Emacs used for dumping?

That way, one would not need to have to adapt custom definitions that
are going to be dumped.