Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:20:32 -0400

    Stupid question: instead of having two initialization functions that
    need to replace the normal initializers for preloaded stuff, wouldn't
    it be easier to simply redefine the _standard_ initialization
    functions in an Emacs used for dumping?

I don't think we want to disguise unexpected errors.
However, an idea occurs to me.  We could change the two
usual functions so that

    if an error occurs
    during building Emacs
    then the variable is left unbound.

If this happens where it is expected, for the variables which would
have used the new -safe- functions, the variable will be recomputed
later in startup.el.  So the end result will be the same as if a
-safe- function had been used.

But if it happens where it is not expected, the variable will
remain unbound, and references will get an error, and we will
debug it.

I am not sure that method would work well, but maybe it would.
However, sticking with the present approach is safer.
We know it can't ignore errors for variables we did not intend
that for.