Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:55:13 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

I am not suggesting any such thing.  I know nothing whatsoever about
w32 and I consider life too short to change anything about that.
Sorry, I thought you did.

I have no idea what you are complaining about actually with regard to
the paper size.  It appears that you are currently in a bad mood and
can't be bothered describing _any_ problem concretely enough so that
it would even make sense talking about it.  It is unclear what
functionality is not implemented on what platforms and for what
reasons, and why you think that somebody is sabotaging the
implementation or whatever.

It seems to have been a bad time mention this. The problem here is the different architectures between unix like OS:s and w32. If you are not interested in w32 then that is ok, but please do not assume that I write about intentions (like sabotage).

I can for sure be more specific. Paper size on w32 must be fetched from the windows Registry because it is stored there. All major applications on w32 I know of does this. An implementation for accessing Registry on w32 was offered some years ago, but was not accepted. It is of course a w32 only solution, since the same things are accessed differently on unix like OS:es. But it actually in my opinion makes Emacs a bit less powerful on w32 that it can not access the registry.

I do not expect you do comment on the details of this. I would however hope that you like to see the big picture.