Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 00:46:46 +0200

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

As far as I can see, `mail-host-address' is irrelevant when
`user-mail-address' is set.  Perhaps, I should just avoid setting it
at all.
Thanks for the clarification.

Then the variables that that I think are salient to a .emacs file and
that should be the same regardless of operating system would be:

   user-mail-address
   mail-default-reply-to

   rmail-delete-after-output
   rmail-confirm-expunge
   rmail-display-summary

   rmail-pop-password-required
   rmail-pop-password
   rmail-preserve-inbox
Thanks also for these. One point that feels mysterious when you are new to these is the storing. Is this the same for all different mail agents in Emacs?

Another mysterious point is the settings for different mail agents. The setting above seems to suggest that this if for RMAIL only? Is that the case? If not why are for example rmail-pop-password not called just mail-pop-password? It does not really look agent specific to me. Or does the different agents inherit from some common values? I would expect an inheritance from mail-pop-password => rmail-pop-password if the latter was not set. It feels natural and from a beginners point it would be very good.