Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Problem with national characters in XHTML
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:44:59 +0200

On 9/28/05, LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have run into a problem with swedish national characters in an XHTML
> document. The header of the document is like this:
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd";>
>
> The swedish character ä looks like \344 in CVS Emacs (2005-09-23).

Hmm. An XHTML document with encoding="utf-8" should not have "swedish
national characters" in it, should it? Upon reading the file, Emacs
will set its coding system to mule-utf-8, so it's no surprise than
high-bit, non-valid utf8 byte sequences appear as \xxx...

I've created a document with your header, and put an "É" in it with
notepad. Emacs shows this char as \311. I would not consider this an
error :)

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u