Re: New speedbar version

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: New speedbar version
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:19:05 -0400

> * I don't understand the changes because there is no ChangeLog history.
> * It appears that the new FSF address has been replaced with the old one.
> * RCS keywords have been introduced.
> * with info the speedbar doesn't show any nodes
> * With gdb-ui.el I get (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)

These should be fixed now.  I've added a ChangeLog entry for the
speedbar update into lisp/ChangeLog.

> * I don't know what the new features are because there is no documentation.

etc/NEWS and maybe the manual will have to be updated, but I'm still
working on this.

Following Romain Francoise's suggestion, I have changed dframe.el to
use the `mouse-1-click-follows-link' mechanism, for consistency with
the rest of Emacs 22.  The results seem to be strange -- sometimes
clicking mouse-1 works, but sometimes it just sets the point even
though I thought I clicked fast enough.  But I'm not sure it's a
problem with dframe, or with the mouse-1-click mechanism.  I often
fail at clicking other links too -- the timeout for the mouse-1-click
is too short for me.

IMO, the timeout for the mouse-1-click mechanism should be increased
to at least 2 seconds!

(The argument that it would take too long to set point is bogus --
wanting to set point inside a link is not a frequent event, and if it
often happens to you, you can always set mouse-1-click-follows-link to
nil.)