Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:47:16 -0400

>> (it seems more common for people to use packages like avoid.el to
>> move the mouse cursor out of sight). Obviously in such a case
>> tooltips are really annoying. Have you tried M-x tooltip-mode RET ?

> I think tooltip-mode is nice most of the time, so I haven't tried
> that. I'd have to turn tooltip-mode off only in ediff-mode-hook, I
> think.

I have it turned off and am quite happy with it: the help-echo message is
still present if I need it, but displayed in the echo area where it doesn't
bother me when I don't need it.

> But in ediff, what are these "Difference region 1 -- non-current" and
> "Difference region 1 -- current" tooltips trying to tell me, anyway?

Ah, I didn't know about that (I always have my mouse pointer in the small
ediff frame because I use focus-follows-mouse), but the way you describe it,
it does seem to be of dubious value indeed.  But that doesn't mean that
tooltips shouldn't also be improved so as to be less bothersome in
such cases.

        Stefan