Re: ATSUI support on Carbon Emacs

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: ATSUI support on Carbon Emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:26:54 +0100

On 1 Oct 2005, at 12:28, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

At the request of the maintainer, I installed ATSUI support on Carbon
Emacs to the trunk.  It does not change anything unless -DUSE_ATSUI is
specified at compile time.  It is still somewhat experimental, and has
some known problems:

I think there might be another one with the font selection.

If you do set-frame-font with one of the installed fonts that show up in a completion buffer, you sometimes get an error:

set-frame-font: Font `-apple-frutiger-roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0- m-0-iso10646-1' is not defined
Making completion list... [3 times]
set-frame-font: Font `-apple-frutiger-roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0- m-0-mac-roman' is not defined

Also, the following font

-apple-helvetica ce-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-140-mac- centraleurroman

can't be set, instead, it just uses the default Monaco font.

Furthermore, it seems that the fonts don't exhibit the same spacing as in other applications. For example, a Helvetica Medium 12pt font is much narrower as for example in Apple Mail, where this is the default font (I think). I wouldn't say that this looks bad, it's just not conforming to the standard.

Apart from that, I'm very grateful for ATSUI support. Variable-width fonts finally look good and readable. Your patch is a tremendous improvement.