RE: Saving minibuffer history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Saving minibuffer history
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:29:17 -0700

    An improved version is now available at
    <http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/savehist.el>.

FYI - I had some problems trying to use this library with Emacs 20, but if a
few minor changes are made, it works well.

Here are the problems I ran into:

1. (defcustom savehist-modes #o600
The reader choked on this. I changed it to this:
(defcustom savehist-modes 384   ; Octal: #o600

2. (defvar savehist-coding-system (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
                                             'iso-2022-8
                                           'utf-8)

I had problems with the utf-8 coding system. I got this error message when I
tried to save any file, after loading the library: "Removing old name: no
such file or directory, <path>/#tmp#0. I could not even exit Emacs, getting
the same message. When I tried to exit without saving anything, I got this
error message: Invalid coding system: utf-8.

I changed the code to this: (defvar savehist-coding-system nil

With these simple changes, the library seems to work fine in Emacs 20.
Thanks for it.