Relocating pgg*.el (was: pgg symmetric encryption patch)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Relocating pgg*.el (was: pgg symmetric encryption patch)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:07:12 +0200

On Thu, Oct 20 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I'm all for relocating pgg.

I wasn't sure about the "best practice" in order to keep CVS history
when moving files around.

> However, I suggest lisp/pgg/ instead.  The lisp/ directory is pretty
> large as it is.

Shouldn't pgg*.el be put into a separate directory along with other
security or cryptography related libraries (maybe lisp/security or
lisp/crypto)?

PGG files:

gnus/pgg.el
gnus/pgg-pgp5.el
gnus/pgg-pgp.el
gnus/pgg-parse.el
gnus/pgg-gpg.el
gnus/pgg-def.el

Other files (used by Gnus):

gnus/sha1.el
gnus/starttls.el
net/tls.el

... and maybe others like password.el and encrypt.el (only in Gnus CVS
upto now).  It has been discussed previously[1] that it would be
useful to add password.el and encrypt.el to Emacs, but it wasn't done
because of the feature freeze.  I'd suggest to add those libraries.
Unless we start to modify existing Emacs 22 packages to use them, it
wouldn't destabilize anything.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/58915

,----