Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:05:06 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Ah!  I see.  That's why archive-mode succeeded in my
>     environment.  Hmmm, it seems that you are right.  There's no
>     way to handle a tared/archived file in a function registered
>     in file-coding-system-alist.

> Could you explain what that means?
> I don't entirely understand.

Let's assume that a tar file x.tar contains a file vi.po.

The current problem is that on extracting vi.po in tar-mode,
a function registered in file-coding-system-alist is called
with a filename "vi.po".  So, that function can't check the
contents of that file because it can't read the contents by
insert-file-contents.  But, po-find-file-coding-system have
to read the contents to determine a coding system.

The original suggestion by Kevin is to move
po-find-file-coding-system from file-coding-system-alist to
auto-coding-functions because, then,
po-find-file-coding-system can check the file contents even
for an achive file member.

Then, Stefan suggested to provide a proper file-name-handler
in tar-mode and arc-mode so that insert-file-contents should
correctly work even for an arhive file member.

But, I thought it's not easy, and proposed the other simpler
method in the last mail.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden