Re: GUD icons

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: GUD icons
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:49:30 +1300

 > >  > > 2) I could then use the STOP icon to interrupt the inferior
 > >  > > (comint-inrreupt-subjob).
 > >  >
 > >  > Indeed!! That would be the logical thing for a stop-sign to do, yes.
 >
 > But now it kills the process rather than stopping it.
 > I suggest -stop-instead of -interrupt- here:

It doesn't kill it on my computer. comint-kill-subjob and comint-quit-subjob
do that.  I think SIGINT, which is what comint-interrupt-subjob sends, is
usual.  SIGTSTP (comint-stop-subjob) needs two continue commands to restart
whereas SIGINT only needs one:

   C-c C-z
Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0x005657a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0x005657a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) c
Continuing.  C-c C-c

0x005657a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) c
Continuing.

This is because SIGTSTP gets passed to the program but SIGINT doesn't:

(gdb) info sig
Signal        Stop      Print   Pass to program Description

SIGINT        Yes       Yes     No              Interrupt
SIGTSTP       Yes       Yes     Yes             Stopped (user)

The only problem with using SIGINT is that it doesn't work when debugging
Emacs.  I could make this a special case, as with gud-pp, I guess.

 >     ([stop]  menu-item "Stop" comint-interrupt-subjob
 >                   :enable gud-running)
 >

 > BTW, since STOP and GO can never be enabled at the same time, it might
 > save a little space to only make one of them visible at a time too.

Yes, of course!  I've done that.

Nick