Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:23:32 +0000

On 24 Nov 2005, at 22:50, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

"David" == David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

David> I don't know about Emacs, as I installed Aquamacs Emacs.

I think this is your problem.  This must've been added by Aquamacs, as
the standard "mac/Emacs.app" in GNU Emacs CVS contains no such
element in the Info.plist.

Please talk to the Aquamacs people.  And yes, I see that they've added
HTML there. I'd consider that mostly evil.

Excuse me: This is a problem that I never complained about. Please read my messages. It's very normal for any OS X program to declare a couple of files it can typically open, usually along with supplying icons for these files. Nothing evil about that. But again, this is not the problem at hand and I'm not going to discuss this any further.

The problem is that browse-url doesn't do what it advertises: "Ask a WWW browser to load url." And that's the case for the very standard GNU Emacs -Q, easily reproducible:

Create an HTML file and save it under the name /tmp/test.tst

then call

(browse-url "file:///tmp/test.test")

(which is what the html-mode "View Buffer"  function does.)

No browser will start.