Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:28:53 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     I don't see why those things need to all be fixed before we start
>     the pretest.
>
> Because we aim to make a release with all known bugs fixed.

How can we do that without some kind of bug tracking system?
And who decides what is a "bug" and what is a "missing feature" or
"enhancement request".

May I suggest that you (RMS) add _all_ bugs that you want to be fixed
before the release to FOR-RELEASE, and then change the above to:

"Because we aim to make a release with all the bugs listed in
FOR-RELEASE fixed."

Or even better, we should make a file etc/KNOWN_BUGS which we can keep
up-to-date with known, unresolved bugs.

Then we can _at any time_ decide that the bugs listed in KNOWN_BUGS
are not severe enough to justify delaying the release.

And we should distribute KNOWN_BUGS with the release, so users can
look in that file to see if we already know about a bug (M-x
report-emacs-bug could point users to that file).

> It makes no sense to postpone debugging the bugs we know about
> in order to discover more bugs.

Who's talking about postponing debugging of known bugs?

So I disagree!  Some bugs are more severe than others, and one of the
most severe has yet to be resolved -- the more people who test
the software, the better the chance of narrowing in on that bug.

So let's start the pretest NOW!