Re: customize-apropos

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: customize-apropos
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:03:51 -0500

    I believe that this should not happen.  Variables should not be
    included in the customize-apropos output just because their docstring
    starts with a `*'.  If a variable should appear in a customization
    buffer, one should define it with defcustom.  I believe that this
    "feature" is just a remnant from the early days of Custom when barely
    any variable had a defcustom.

I agree.  Please install your patch.

Meanwhile, Buffer-menu-sort-column should not be a user variable
at all.  I will fix that.