Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:27:03 +0100

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

Your patch that adds custom-link-face seems good to me,
but I think
   %s indicate buttons; type RET or click mouse-1 to actuate one.
   Editing a field's value changes only the text in the buffer.
   Use the State button of an option or face to set or save changes in it.
   Saving a change normally works by editing your Emacs init file.
   See "

is a better text to use for the initial explanation.
I would prefer something like this:

   This is a customization buffer.

   Editing a field's value changes only the text in the buffer.  The
   State button of an option can be used to set or save the value.
   Options are normally saved in your Emacs init file.  See custom file
   for how to save in a different file and help for more information.

  Note: On your display [Example Button] indicates buttons; type RET or
  click mouse-1 to actuate one.

The "State button can be used" since there are global buttons too. "Options are normally saved ..." sounds easier to understand, at least to me.

Maybe the only important change is the last paragraph. I believe it should come last and that it should only be used in "non-GUI" environments. In GUI environments I believe the user recognices the buttons and knows what to do with them. If others to not agree with me however, I have made [Example Button] a real button (that just says "You clicked the Example Button").

A patch is coming later. I believe there are some small errors in fill-region that I want to correct.