Re: cvs-update

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cvs-update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:33:44 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:44:34 +0200
>
> > Because "make updates" also does "make update-subdirs", which is
> > almost always unnecessary,
>
> update-subdirs is much faster than other updates so it doesn't hurt to
> call this target after every CVS update.

That depends on how fast is your machine and your filesystem.  I have
sometimes to work on platforms where update-subdirs is annoyingly
slow.

In any case, I always thought Make was invented precisely so
unnecessary commands would not be run, even if they don't take long
time.

> > and includes the mh-autoloads target, which is already part of "make
> > recompile".
>
> Then it should be removed.

>From where? from "make recompile"?  I thought it was there for a
good reason.  Bill, could you please comment on this?