Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:18:30 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> See the attached preliminary patch.  Do (setq tumme-use-speedbar t),
> turn on the speedbar, and open any dired buffer containing images.
> Apart from saving real estate, you don't need a keybinding to display
> a thumbnail --- the speedbar timer allows you to display the image at
> point automatically.

Tried it and I must say that it is quite cool and that we should keep
it :)

At first I did not understand how it worked, what I needed to do in
order for the image to appear but I noticed that I just needed to go
up/down in dired. Nice! I read in speedbar.el how the magic works,
that it calls a major mode's `foo-speedbar-buttons' etc. Very neat.

For doing the things I do most with tumme, that is, browsing,
categorizing (adding tags) and cleaning out bad images, it is too slow
compared to a dired buffer in one window, tumme's thumbnail in
another, and maybe the display buffer in a third. When "movement
tracking" is enabled, just moving to a row in dired will move the
cursor in the thumbnail buffer to the corresponding thumbnail.

It will be a nice compliment though.

Thanks for the hack!