Re: faq.texi

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:43:29 +0200

> Okay.  The manual is very clear about this, but I've added an entry to
> the FAQ about it nonetheless, pointing people to the relevant node in
> the manual.

Actually there is already a special node in FAQ that describes how to use
C-q C-j to match newlines: (info "(efaq)Working with unprintable characters")
with the title:

5.10 How do I search for, delete, or replace unprintable (eight-bit or control)
characters?

So the new node `Searching for/replacing newlines' duplicates it.

BTW, the node `Working with unprintable characters' says:

   * You don't need to quote <TAB> with either isearch or typing
     something in the minibuffer.

But I think it's better to suggest to always quote <TAB> because in
the minibuffer its behavior depends on `indent-tabs-mode', and in
isearch mode it is bound to completion.

I also looked briefly at other parts of the FAQ and noticed other
inaccuracies and omissions:

1. The Top node says:

  If you find any errors, or have any suggestions, please use `M-x
  report-emacs-bug' to report them.

This is correct, but the node (info "(efaq)Reporting bugs")
doesn't mention `M-x report-emacs-bug' at all, and has no xref
to (info "(emacs)Bugs").

2. A xref from (info "(efaq)Highlighting a region")
to (info "(efaq)Turning on syntax highlighting") seems
inappropriate to me.  Region highlighting and syntax highlighting
are different things.

3. The node (info "(efaq)Replacing highlighted text") could be placed
just after (info "(efaq)Highlighting a region") in the menu.

4. I propose to merge nodes (info "(efaq)Turning on auto-fill by default")
and (info "(efaq)Wrapping words automatically").  And also to merge nodes
(info "(efaq)Repeating commands") and
(info "(efaq)Repeating a command as many times as possible")

5. I think (info "(efaq)Horizontal scrolling") should mention
`truncate-partial-width-windows'.

6. (info "(efaq)Forcing the cursor to remain in the same column")
should mention `track-eol', `C-x C-n' and `C-u C-x C-n' and have
a xref to (info "(emacs)Moving Point").

7. (info "(efaq)Inserting text at the beginning of each line")
could have a xref to (info "(efaq)Changing the included text prefix").

8. The node (info "(efaq)Newsgroup archives") could also
contain a link to `http://gmane.org/'.  And the node
(info "(efaq)Packages that do not come with Emacs") could have
a reference to the file `etc/MORE.STUFF'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/