Re: tumme testing

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: tumme testing
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:21:38 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Correct. That's not implemented yet. Partly because I have dired in
>> another window, and I am using the "track movement" thing so that I
>> can see, in dired, which file point is on in the thumbnail buffer. It
>> would probably be quite easy to add that info to the thumbnail buffer,
>> but it would require a rewrite of the code that places the thumbnail
>> files there, and exactly how it should look must be investigated. It
>> is harder in Emacs to center texts under images and so on.
>
> This should be quite easy.  You could try the function `image-size'
> which returns the size of the image in characters.

Getting the data is not the problem. What I meant was that it might be
a bit harder to get a good UI layout in a character based
application. I guess what the parent wanted was something like the
following:

      +--------+
      | THUMB  |
      |        |
      +--------+

  Centered file name

    (X px x Y px)

I am sure it could be solved in a number of ways. The file name could
be truncated if too long etc etc, but it would require a much smarter
redraw that tumme has now. One thing is sure, it will require much
more space. Of course it should be configurable too; personally, file
name and size is not interesting to me at all, in most cases.

> If not with iimage.el, then at least with `put-image'.  Though `put-image'
> currently has one drawback: its created overlays don't evaporate when
> relocated to the beginning of the buffer, because `put-image' doesn't put
> the property `evaporate' to its overlays.  But adding `evaporate' is not
> possible because then the overlay evaporates immediately after its creation,
> since its length is 0 initially, due to (make-overlay pos pos buffer),
> where `pos pos' creates the 0-length overlay.

I'll take your word for it. :)

So, when will we see your first addition to tumme? :) You have a lot
of ideas and seem to have technical expertice superior to mine.