Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:55:05 -0500

> I think at least for me it is impossible to understand from the
> documentation when :enable and :filter in a menu-item list is
> computed. I believe the documentation should be improved.

>  From my simple tests is seems like the argument to :filter is computed
>  every time the menubar is accessed. It is not really what I would expect
>  when this is in a submenu. Is this behaviour intentional?

Depends what you mean by "intentional".
When the menubar is accessed, the whole menu tree is computed before handing
it to the toolkit: submenus are precomputed rather than being computed on
the fly when the user actually accesses them.

> The same seems to be true for the argument to :enable. Is this intentional?

Same thing.

I don't think this is considered as a feature (and I thought it was in
the TODO list to change it so that submenus are only constructed when
needed, but I can't seem to find it in the TODO file), but nobody's worked
on changing it.

Note that in most cases this only matters for reasons of performance.

        Stefan