Re: locate-with-filter

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: locate-with-filter
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:10:41 -0500

    Because after your changes, `help-follow' is a function that just
    unconditionally gives an error message, even when invoked on a button.

Right--because it should not get called on a button.  The button
itself takes care of its own commands.  `help-follow' exists only
in case you try to activate a button where there is no button.

    If you mean the bug that binding `help-follow' to anything else but RET
    does not work, then my third patch fixes that bug.

You would have to change the bindings in the button's (text-property)
keymap if you want different commands to operate on the button.

Is that feasible?  Maybe it is not easy for users to find out which
keymap to change in order to change the behavior of the button.  Is it?

    I do not know how to fix the problem with "\\[help-follow]" and
    (presumably) `minor-mode-overriding-map-alist', even after applying my
    third patch.

I am not sure which problem that refers to.

If you mean how to make the help mode's doc string refer to the
button's commands, one way would be to tell it to do lookups in the
button's keymap.

      The behavior after
    my patches is _exactly_ the same as the behavior after your changes,
    as long as help-follow is only bound to RET.

Ok, I see the idea now.

So there are two approaches:

1. Say that users who want to change the behavior of the buttons should
   change the keymap that they use.

2. Install your change in help-follow, and then we can get rid of the
   buttons' text property keymap.