Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cperl-mode instead of perl-mode?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:35:05 -0400

>     As can be seen in "cperl-version", I've currently updated the code
>     only upto version 5.0, even though I have imported upto version 5.10
>     on the vendor branch.

> Thank you--I didn't know this was being done.

> So, how well does our current Cperl mode work?
> Should it be the default?

As the "maintainer" of both perl-mode and (until a few days ago) cperl-mode,
I'll vote to keep perl-mode as the default, because cperl-mode's code is ugly.

I haven't used cperl-mode much, tho, but my impression was that it provides
more specialized support for Perl hackers, while Emacs users who use
a variety of languages may prefer perl-mode which is more standard.

        Stefan