Re: Last steps for pretesting

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:02:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Richard, Hi, all!

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>As far as I can see, all we need to do before we start pretesting is

>1. fix the recently reported bugs
>2. update the copyright notices (all files need 2006)
>3. check a few manual files:

I'm struggling somewhat to get CC Mode in a presentable state.  I'm
getting a steady trickle of syntax analysis bugs at bug-cc-mode (e.g.,
the "DEFUN" problem) which I'm fixing at about the same rate they're
coming in at.  Thanks to Michaƫl Cadilhac[*] for sending a patch in with
"his" bug!  I currently have two or three such bugs pending at the moment
(I've lost count).

[*] He tells me his copyright assignment papers are currently being
processed.

Besides these, there are some issues with connecting CC Mode up with
Emacs 22:  Foremost amongst them are:

(i) Fixing the submode indicators (the "/la" of "C/la" on the mode line)
so that their doc-string is displayed when the mouse hovers over them.

(ii) Writing font-lock-expand-region functions, one for CC Mode as a
whole (to replace (setq font-lock-lines-before 2)) and one for AWK Mode
(to replace the advising of the Font Lock after-change functions).

(iii) Tracking down the "CC Mode loads CL" problem.  (I've made good
progress on this).

(iv) A problem in Emacs (See: Subject: Problem mit symlinks,
locate-library and load-history.  Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2006).  This is
caused by (a) load-history storing a promiscuous mix of true file names
and file names containing symbolic links; (b) eval-after-load only
recognising files as being already loaded if they're the ones currently
showing on load-path.  I've half-solved this problem by writing a
function to search load-history properly, which I posted to emacs-devel.
Richard tentatively approved it.  Would it be possible to define
load-history such that all file names in it are true names?

Of these, I could use help for (i) and (iv); (ii) is fairly trivial,
(iii) is something it is best for me to do.

There are also several relatively minor issues, some of which I've
reported to emacs-devel, some of which other people have reported to
bug-cc-mode, which haven't been addressed yet.

I feel a bit like the wet blanket at a party at the moment.  I'm not
going to get all of these things finished this week, or even next week.
Maybe the week after.  Sorry.

Richard, when do you envisage going into pretest?

--
Alan.