Re: Last steps for pretesting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:23:35 -0400

> (ii) Writing font-lock-expand-region functions, one for CC Mode as a
> whole (to replace (setq font-lock-lines-before 2)) and one for AWK Mode
> (to replace the advising of the Font Lock after-change functions).

BTW, I still intend to move font-lock-extend-region-function from
after-change-functions to font-lock-fontify-region (or maybe even
jit-lock-fontify).

So if you really manage to use the current font-lock-extend-region-function
(called from after-change-functions) in a way that's robust, efficient, and
can't be done as efficiently/elegantly/robustly with a hook in
font-lock-fontify-region (or with the font-lock-multiline property),
please scream.

> (iv) A problem in Emacs (See: Subject: Problem mit symlinks,
> locate-library and load-history.  Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2006).  This is
> caused by (a) load-history storing a promiscuous mix of true file names
> and file names containing symbolic links; (b) eval-after-load only
> recognising files as being already loaded if they're the ones currently
> showing on load-path.  I've half-solved this problem by writing a
> function to search load-history properly, which I posted to emacs-devel.
> Richard tentatively approved it.  Would it be possible to define
> load-history such that all file names in it are true names?

As mentioned in that thread, I think it's better to "truify" names
on-the-fly when you need it rather than directly inside load-history.

        Stefan