Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 05:11:29 +0200

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:29:04 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I think using narrowing and auxiliary buffers would both be less than
> optimal.  When you program, you need to see the context.

Have a look at Dave Loves multi-mode.el:

http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/multi-mode.el

It uses indirect buffers and only narrows to region for
indentation or font-lock code.  You always see the whole
buffer.

It's far away from being perfect but at least indentation
within one region works well.  Though it can't deal with
mixed code like

<%
if (a) {
%>
  <h3>blah</h3>
<%
  // cc-mode thinks this is a top level funcall
  // and will indent it to `point-at-bol'
  foo ();
}
%>