Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplica

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplicates?)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:17:03 +0300

>     2. to change the argument KEEP-ALL to DONT-KEEP so that if DONT-KEEP
>        is t, then read-from-minibuffer doesn't add a new element to the
>        history list, and the calling code can add it by the explicit call
>        of add-to-history (with any necessary arguments including the value t
>        for KEEP-ALL argument of add-to-history).
>
> Since we already decided to get rid of the KEEP-ALL argument,
> I think that is the cleanest way.  It would require changing
> the Lisp manual and etc/NEWS.

This solution has a significant drawback: this argument is available only
to one reading function `read-from-minibuffer' and is not available to
all other minibuffer reading functions (like `read-file-name' etc.).
Adding this argument to every reading function would be a clumsy solution.

I'm really inclined to bind a global variable `history-length' to
a special value before calling a reading function (and to access this
value in `read_minibuf' where all reading functions eventually go).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/