Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 20:06:50 +1200

 > Please get rid of "to marked files" or "from marked files"
 > on all the menu items.  Those words are wasteful.
 > However, every menu item that reads more input (such as confirmation,
 > which all Dired commands that operate on marked files ask for)
 > should have "..." at the end.

I can't find the start of this thread but "Immediate" generally (but not always)
does something to the file on the line point is.

 > Every word in menu item name should be capitalized.  Always.
 >
 > I suggest replacing "Tag" with "Image Tag".  Without that,
 > it is not clear what this is about.
 >
 > +     '(menu-item "Find and mark files with a certain tag"

Shouldn't this item be under "Regexp"?

 >     -     '(menu-item "Display image in external viewer"
 >
 > That is painfully long.  Use "Display Image Externally".

And this one (and others) under "Operate"?

The other items under "Operate" are bound to upper case letters.

How about (I = image):

tumme-tag-remove       C-t r  ->   I r
tumme-tag-files        C-t t  ->   I t
tumme-display-thumbs   C-t d  ->   I d

Assuming tumme-tag-remove deletes tags, tumme-tag-delete sounds better.

tumme-tag-files works on just one file. It might be clearer to call
it tumme-tag-add (and bind it to "I a")