Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:06:36 +0200

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard replied:
>
>> There is no room for an additional menu bar menu in Dired mode
>> on a text terminal.  The menu bar is nearly full already.
>
>> Putting it in as a submenu of some existing Dired menu would be ok.
>> Perhaps "Immediate".
>
> So I created the sub menu there.
>
>> Shouldn't this item be under "Regexp"?
>> And this one (and others) under "Operate"?
>
> Probably, in one sense. But do we really want to mess with these
> "standard" or "old" Dired menus? If there were a "Dired tools" menu,
> tumme would fit well as a sub menu under that one.

In my opinion, stuff should be there where the user would expect it
according to its functionality, not according to package boundaries.

>> Assuming tumme-tag-remove deletes tags, tumme-tag-delete sounds better.
>
> I trust your judgement on this one (my English skills are not good
> enough).

I am opposed.  "tumme-tag-delete" sounds like it would delete tagged
files, not like it would remove tags from files.  "delete" sounds more
appropriate with more physical entities than just tags.  You can,
after "deleting" a tag, put it right on afterwards again.