Re: patch: [UP] and [DOWN] buttons for `editable-list' widgets

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: patch: [UP] and [DOWN] buttons for `editable-list' widgets
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:39:37 +0200

> I think the Customize interface for editing list values is rather
> unnatural.  Although I can see that adding up and down boxes would
> make a certain case more convenient, I think they would also make it
> more unnatural overall.

In many cases, sequence of entries in a list does not matter,
so it would probably be confusing to have the UP/DOWN buttons
in general.

For some lists, e.g. hooks and paths, sequence may matter quite
a bit, so for those lists, UP/DOWN would make a lot of sense.

The question is how to mark those lists which should have the
UP/DOWN buttons...

> So I think I would rather not do this.  What I would rather do
> (after the release, of course) is switch to a more natural interface,
> if someone can find one and implement it.

As long as it is backwards compatible with customize ...

IMO, customize functionality as such is ok, but the visible appearence
is too ugly.

I have suggested various improvements, but the code is just too tricky
(or too structured :-) for any _simple_ hack to work  (well, I use
them anyway, but they have glitches).