Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:55:28 -0400

    Yes, the uses we're talking about here involve applying a color, or a style
    such as boldness or underlining, to buffer text. They don't really involve
    faces. Users making text bold, or removing boldness from text, should not
    have to think in terms of the "bold" and "default" faces - they should think
    only in terms of text properties.

For "bold", we could think of it either way.
Why do you think one is better than the other?

For "fixed pitch", I think that can only be considered as a face.

    And yes, the fact that the current submenus Foreground Color and Background
    Color have only the entry Other... is a hint that they are not needed.

They are not much needed TODAY because Emacs' WYSIWYG features are
incomplete.  But they definitely will be needed once the features are
adequate.  Therefore, this hint must be misleading.

    Why not combine the three current menus, Faces, Foreground Color, and
    Background Color,

We certainly don't want them all in one large menu.

     Text Properties

       Style > Bold
               Italic
               Underline
       Color > Red
               Green (and so on)
               Other...
               Background > Red
                            Green (and so on)

I see you agree, because that isn't combining them.

You've suggested (1) putting the Background Color menu under
the Foreground Color menu and (2) adding some initial colors.

I see no benefit in (1).  (2) could be good, but one needs
to decide which colors to put in initially.

    Make Background a submenu of Color, since this kind of quick color
    application is generally for foreground only.

Do others agree that is true?

    I've shown the basic color choices as a menu here, not as a palette. I would
    rather see Color not as a submenu but as a Color... menu item that brings up
    a tiny palette of, say, 20 basic colors, with swatches instead of names (but
    tooltips for the names).

That might be good, but it's nontrivial.  It might need to be written
in C.  If someone wants to start working on it, please do.

    "Other..." would replace today's top-level Display Colors item. Like my
    suggestion for Display Faces, this display would be active, so you could
    click a color to apply it to the selected text.

I have lost you here.

    If we used a Color... menu item instead of a Color submenu, then Other...
    would be a button on the palette.

Even more lost.

    Face... would replace today's top-level Display Faces item. It would do what
    I described previously - you could click a face to apply it to the selected
    text (just as you apply a foreground color).

As I explained before, the whole list of faces would be inconveniently large.