Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:01:16 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> Fixed pitch _can_ be treated like any of the other constant "properties",
> _if we want_.

It's not just an arbitrary choice -- "fixed pitchedness" is not
typically a composable property of fonts like boldness/size/family/etc.

It would be _nice_ if it were -- it would be very convenient to be able
to say `give me a fixed pitch font that otherwise "matches" the
underlying font', for instance; but as far as I can see, that would
probably be hard to implement, because it's not supported by the
underlying font mechanisms and designs.

[However, I also see no evidence that users think of it that way.]

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!