Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:03:57 -0400

    I can use the number 4 or not use it, but it remains the number 4 - it is
    not changeable. I can apply  the :bold attribute to text or not, but it
    remains the unchangeable :bold attribute; if applied, it always imposes
    boldness. That is different from use of a face whose name happens to be
    `bold', even if the face looks bold. Whether applied to text or not, the
    `bold' face is not a constant, and its name "bold" doesn't necessarily stand
    for how it looks.

I see your point now.  However, the point is not a strong one, because
it would be perverse to define the face `bold' to do anything other than
make the text bold.

Anyway, we don't need to discuss these subtleties in the text in the
menu.

      "For 'fixed pitch', I think that can only be considered as a face."

    Fixed pitch _can_ be treated like any of the other constant "properties",
    _if we want_.

No, it can't be done.  I think you don't understand the problem.