Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: 16 Jul 2006 04:29:42 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Do we need to call each other names?

a name is gratuitous, but w/o it, we become
statistics (moreso than we already are).

anyway, aside from mouse/nomouse, i agree that moving `i' more towards
the beginning is a good idea.  we can keep the node about invisible text
and use it to introduce `i' (and `l'):

  Although info manuals are organized like a tree, you can jump
  directly to a specific topic using @kbd{i}.  Read the following
  key sequence and then try it!

  @example
  Type           Explanation
  i              You see the prompt "Index topic:".
  invisible      A topic not immediately visible from here.
  RET            You visit node "Help-Inv" and Emacs displays
                 a message where "invisible" was found.
  l              You return here.
  @end example

  You can now revisit the node with @kbd{r}, or use
  OTHER-SEARCH-METHODS, etc...

i think this fits in w/ your point that it is best to DO something in a
tutorial rather than just talk about it, and that navigation tasks are
of lower priority than search tasks (if those were indeed your points).

btw, i use @example for this email; the actual texinfo would probably
use @table and more extensive explanation, w/ @xref and so on.

thi