Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:21:44 +0200

Miles Bader skrev:

Xtk (and ATK for that matter) scrollbars use a very clever and handy
definition for the left/right mouse keys:  a left mouse-click in the
scrollbar scrolls so that the line next to the mouse pointer is at to
the top of the window; a right mouse-click scrolls so that the line at
the top of the window is next to the mouse-pointer.

Thus you can intuitively and precisely control the amount by which the
window scrolls due to mouse l/r scrollbar clicks (near the top of the
bar = "scroll a little", near the bottom = "scroll a lot").

Ok, but should we move Motif scroll bars to the right also then? They don't behave like that either.

David Kastrup skrev:

> GTK is nice, but its scroll bars suck as badly as almost anybody
> else's.  Some years ago I asked on the GTK+ developer list whether
> they would be thinking of some option to put into .gtkrc-2.0 to fix
> that for people who could live without the dumbed-down bars of GTK+,
> but nobody was particularly interested in taking that up.

They seem to be content with the current behaviour. You can't even remap buttons, they are hardcoded in the C-code.

        Jan D.