Re: change cursor type when idle

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: change cursor type when idle
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:44:09 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim Storm wrote:
>
>    Here is a version that does this correctly.
>
>>From looking at your code, unless I missed something, it seems like
> your new feature would be turned on _by default_.  If so, this would
> be unacceptable.

It would be default when you enable blink-cursor-mode.

But you would never notice if you use a box cursor.

> If a user has set blink-cursor-mode to nil, then no code should
> override this and make the cursor blink anyway after a few seconds
> idle time.

Why do you think it would?
It is driven by blink-cursor-mode's timer, so if you disable
blinking cursors, you wont be affected.

>             Forcing the user to customize more than one variable to
> make the cursor stop blinking would be user harassment.  Similarly,
> if the user changed the cursor type, no code should override that by
> default behind the user's back either.

It's a feature that only affects users with a blinking bar or hbar cursor.

>    If people just wants the cursor type to change after, say, 3 seconds, but
>    don't want a blinking cursor, do:
>
>    (setq cursor-type 'bar
>        blink-cursor-delay 3.0
>        blink-cursor-idle-cursor-delay blink-cursor-delay
>        blink-cursor-interval 10e7)
>
> Forcing the user to customize no less than four variables to achieve
> something this simple does not seem good design to me.

It's only three ... you shouldn't count cursor-type here.

But I agree it could be made simpler (in some way)...

In any case, we should wait until after the release to
install (something like) this.