Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:44:53 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>> so quoted pairs have to be handled in quoted strings and `\"' and
>> `\\' are legal quoted pairs (you can quote any "text", see RfC2822
>> 3.2.1 and 3.2.2) so they must be displayed as `"' and `\'.
>
> I agree that `\\' in a quoted string is decoded into `\'.
> However, I don't think it is useful that
>
> "foo \"bar\""  is decoded into  "foo "bar""  or  foo "bar"
>
> because it may appear in the From header and may be used in the
> To header when replying.

I do agree that decoding `\"' would be a problem in such situations,
as it wouldn't be possible determine unambiguously how to re-encode
the string.

I'd think the ideal solution would be to only decode `\"' for display
(in summary and article buffers) but to keep it quoted when used to
generate a new message (like a reply for instance).

I don't know if this can be done easily or if the current code base
doesn't allow to make this difference -- if it's to hard to do I would
vote for leaving `\"' quoted...

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : xedit? Das sieht zwar wie vi aus als könne es nix, aber im
             : Gegensatz zu vi kann es wirklich nix und nix ist noch geschönt!