Copying preserves font-lock-face

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Copying preserves font-lock-face
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:43:19 +1200

My jargon might be a bit wrong but here goes:

If I copy text with a face into a fontified buffer it gets a face according
to it's context e.g a word in a comment in c-mode to a keyword location
(face goes from font-lock-comment-face to font-lock-keyword-face)

If I copy text with a font-lock-face it keeps that property and doesn't acquire
the face appropriate to it's new location e.g text from the grep buffer with
font-lock-face `match' looks the same after being copied into a C file.  I
realise that I can remove font-lock-face with facemenu-remove-all but I don't
see why I should need to.

Is there a reason why font-lock-face should be preserved on copying?