Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:17:56 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:12:03 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What exactly is missing that makes you say this?

You didn't answer that.

> > A bare-bones Linux kernel
>
> Which neither Richard nor I was talking about.

Neither was I, sorry for the confusing wording.  I later used a more
accurate (but much longer) term "GNU/Linux with all the GNU commands
removed".

> But the MS Windows versions of even those primitive commands are much
> less useful, particular in scripts, than the GNU equivalents.

When did you last looked at those commands?  They are much more
powerful since at least 6 years ago.  If you have examples of the
functionality you think is missing, let's hear them.

> > ``Useful'' is in the eyes of the beholder.  ``Usable'' is a more
> > relevant issue: stripped of all GNU programs, a Linux-based system
> > is simply unusable, IMO.
>
> So what?  Richard was not talking about just a kernel, I was not
> talking about just a kernel.
>
> What is your fixation with a bare Linux kernel?

There is none.  I didn't even use that term in the part to which you
were responding here.