Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Building Emacs-cvs on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 02:16:04 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> But you also said in an earlier message that GCC 3.4.4-1 didn't have
> the -g bug.  Could you please try to build with that version?  If
> version 3.4.4-2 is the only one to avoid, I'd like to say that
> explicitly in etc/PROBLEMS, because building GCC is something most
> Cygwin users will probably not wish to do.

I have boostrapped also with GCC-3.4.4-1 (curr. in Cygwin) and Emacs
segment faults.

I have observed that configuring with GCC-4.0.3 or 4.3.0 20061022
(experimental), 'configure' reports

  What compiler should emacs be built with? gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign

while with GCC-3.4.4

  What compiler should emacs be built with? gcc -g -O2

but I do not think that this is the difference.

Beside this, the build with GCC-4.3.0 20061022 (experimental) has the
problem that hitting 'M-x' gives (in the minibuffer)

   M-x undefined

So, for the moment, only the build with GCC-4.0.3 seems very fine on
Cygwin.

At this point it would remain to boostrap Emacs with GCC-4.1.1 (current
release from GCC site) or 4.2 (next release on GCC) but I haven't these
versions built of gcc.

Cheers

   Angelo.