Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:46:42 +0200

> From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:24:21 +0100
>
> Another rebuild: Without jobs, ~11 minutes

Same here.  I get between 11 and 13 minutes, depending on whether I
use "-j 2" or not.  This is a single-core system with a 3-GHz
hyper-threaded CPU.

> With jobs: Will not complete. :-(

Please show me the error messages which prevented it from finishing.

For repeatability's sake, please always start with a fresh CVS tree
when you try another bootstrap, until we resolve the problems.  To
avoid the need to checkout the entire tree each time, what I do is
immediately after a checkout copy the fresh tree to another place (you
can compress it if you want to preserve space), and then, before each
new build, I remove the old tree, where I built Emacs the previous
time, and copy the fresh tree in its place.  This makes every build go
through the same steps, and makes debugging easier.  Could you please
adopt a similar scheme?

FWIW, I have now finished testing the latest changes in the various
makefile.w32-in files.  I tested all the combinations I could try on
this system:

  . with sh.exe and with CMD
  . with and without '-j 2 XMFLAGS="-j 2"' options
  . both CVS HEAD and the 22.0.92 tarball (with makefile.w32-in files
    and gmake.defs replaced by the ones in CVS HEAD)

All combinations of these were tested, and they all succeeded.

So for further testing, I must rely on your data.  We use different
development tools (e.g., I don't have Cygwin installed, and my gmake
is compiled locally from the official sources, not downloaded from the
MinGW site), so perhaps some problems only rear their ugly heads with
your choice of tools.

TIA