Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:24:55 +0100

David Kastrup skrev:
Hi,

I find it disturbing that inactive menu entries and toolbar icons
won't display their tooltip.  "What is this about?" is an interesting
question also when an item is inactive.  I actually find this
_particularly_ interesting since I would like to figure out what would
make such entries active.  Not getting the tooltip for them makes this
more difficult.

I agree, but it is very hard (impossible?) to do in some toolkits. For example, inactive usually means that no events whatsoever are generated for those icons/buttons. Things like Enter and Leave events that are used to determine what tooltip to show.

Tooltips are shown for inactive icons with the native toolbar, but not inactive menu entries. It is complicated for Lesstif/Motif and Gtk+ and I guess that is why tool tips for inactive tool bar icons are not shown (well, in the Gtk-case, I know that is so). So I suggest leaving this as is until after the release.

        Jan D.